A green, clean, healthy, and prosperous BVI, where the well-being of the people is of primary importance and a balance is maintained between conservation of the natural environment and development.
To demonstrate, facilitate and catalyze environmentally friendly systems through practical projects, education and innovation, with focus on waste, energy and water.
British Virgin Islands
Environmental Not-for-Profit since 2009
Photo: Leave Only Footprints by Susan McDavit
See what we are up to …
Test Recycling Centres are up and running on both Tortola and Virgin Gorda. The hard work of putting partnerships, infrastructure, education programmes and monitoring & evaluation tools in place is done, and long-term funding mechanisms are being implemented. Download our RECYCLING APP now to find out where, and how, to now recycle glass, aluminium cans and plastic.
Green Certification incentivizes, guides and educates businesses in best green operation practices and provides Bronze, Silver, Gold and Leader Accreditations. Developed in partnership with the Ministry of Natural Resources, the programme provides critical financial support to environmental betterment through its Green Fund, and will guide the “greening” of the BVI Public Service’s Strategic Policy.
This Virgin Gorda community-driven initiative reduces the breeding sites of the Aedes aegypti mosquito that causes diseases such as Zika, dengue, and chikungunya. Outreach education, clean ups and community participation are integrated into safe, data driven vector control operations. After three years of success on Virgin Gorda, we’re partnering with the Government on a BugOut pilot on Tortola.
Teaching regenerative agriculture, increasing locally grown food and decreasing organic waste dumped are the overarching goals of Green VI’s Garden Project. Through enriched education and hands-on farming activities, our gardens foster students and community members to be mindful of their health, well being, environment and social history.
Green VI advocates increased renewable infrastructure, demonstrates renewable energy technologies, and educates our communities about climate change impacts and local solutions.
TONS RECYCLABLES DIVERTED
BUSINESSES GREEN CERTIFIED
↓ HIGH RISK MOSQUITO BREEDING
Click on our themes below to find out more:
A zero waste society based on Reduce, Reuse, Recycle & Upcycle concepts that help create jobs and new business opportunities. We’ve achieved this when:
- Open burning and landfill are things of the past
- We use 100% of our glass and organic waste for on-island applications
- We upcycle “waste” to make local products
- We make informed consumer decisions about the products we use, where we get them and how we manage them
A society of community-minded individuals who value tradition and our natural resources and use innovation to improve the quality of life for all. We’ve achieved this when:
- Our economy is resilient in the face of natural disasters
- We have the means and skills to grow our own food
- BVI businesses offer high quality and diversified products and services, ensuring local and international competitiveness
- Local businesses are strong, and provide both social and environmental benefits to the community
- Our population is not dependent on imports to meet basic needs
- We use innovation and technology to meet our needs
TORTOLA, VIRGIN GORDA
Individuals are critical thinkers, have knowledge of local culture and the environment, and function at their highest potential - both locally and globally. We’ve achieved this when:
- We use innovation to solve complex issues
- We’re able to secure, and excel in, local and international employment
- We show others how to meet their needs
VIRGIN GORDA & TORTOLA
We use the sun, wind and water we are blessed with to generate clean, affordable, renewable and resilient energy.We’ve achieved this when:
- 30% of energy needs are provided from renewable sources by 2023.
- Solar water heaters are mandatory
- Our dependence on expensive, polluting, imported fossil fuels is reduced to a minimum
- Energy demand decreases as our buildings are efficiently designed and we practice energy conservation
VIRGIN GORDA & TORTOLA
Our drinking water supply is storm resilient, reliable and clean. Our marine environment is clean, with fisheries, coral reefs and sustainable tourism thriving.
We’ve achieved this when:
- We have excellent management of our water generation and sewage systems
- Toxic pollutants no longer enter our water
- Coral reefs regenerate and fish populations increase
- We enjoy a high quality of life and harmoniously enjoy the natural beauty of our islands.
Get The App