GREEN MY LIFE
Simple things you can do to make a big difference in the struggle to address climate change, pollution and shrinking resources.
GREEN MY LIFE
As we journey toward a greener, cleaner, healthier BVI, we must bring home the critical concept that going green is all about helping the environment. Simple actions we take in our everyday life make a big difference in the struggle to address climate change, pollution and shrinking resources. How we manage our waste, how we use our water, how we conserve energy and the choices we make as consumers will decide the kind of world our children inherit. We must “care more and use less.” It’s easier than you think.
Download our app to learn what to recycle and where to recycle it. See our education section on how to reduce, reuse and recycle in the BVI.
We can all help save energy and money if we turn it off, unplug it and change to using energy efficient lights and appliances. Moving toward renewable energy sources will secure our energy security for the future.
GREEN MY HOME
For your, and your family’s, health, and to protect the fragile BVI environment, here are some green options. These local businesses offer green options to include in your home – cleaners, recycling, composting, reduce, reuse and recycle, green tips
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycling
- EC Soap Company: Very good range of locally-made eco products.
- Greencrete: Concrete products incorporating recycled glass.
- Sageroots: Locally-made natural body and home products.
- Make your own Cleaners
- Radio Doctor will repair items they sell
- VI Plastics: Green Champion Upcycler, creates outdoor furniture and recycling bins from recycled plastics
GREEN MY TRAVEL
Interested in greener travel options when visiting our beautiful Islands? These BVI businesses each incorporate environmentally responsible practices.
- Cooper Island: Runs off solar power, manages sewage well, actively reduces glass and other waste . . . and more
- Voyage Charters: Built & operate the first eco-friendly electric sailing yachts in the BVI. Green VI Green Certification Pioneer
- Nanny Cay: Hosts Tortola’s first public recycling drop off point, makes eco-choices at their restaurants and incorporates many “green” practices into daily operations
- Necker Island: Works with UniteBVI to use alternative energy and upcycled materials, recycle, and protect wildlife
- Tradewinds Cruise Club: Uses only eco-friendly cleaning products and no single use plastic. A Green VI Green Certification Pioneer
GREEN MY SCHOOL
Children are our future. Are you interested in finding out how you can “green” your school?
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle
- Grow a School Garden
- Consider using solar energy
- Implement a drinking water system
- Make use of our school resources
- Valley Day School: Creates gift bags from old newspapers and T-shirts.
- Ivan Dawson
GREEN MY BUSINESS
Green Certification incentivizes, guides and educates businesses in best “green” practices, and collaborates to develop the Accreditation Level they choose:
Pledge . Bronze . Silver . Gold . Leader
We use a number of support tools as part of the programme, such as Policy Templates, Accreditation Guides, the Green VI App, and experienced Trainers for hands-on collaboration. Green Certification offers practical, common-sense ways for organizations to help the environment and enhance their operations, such as:
- Sign “The Pledge”
- Contribute to the Green Fund
- Create Checklists
- Train Your Staff
- Set Up a Recycling System
- Become A Green Leader
GREEN MY EVENT
Whether you are hosting a backyard party or a large festival, there are lots of ways you can green it!
- Assemble a Green Team
- Reduce the total number of resources used (materials and energy) and reuse where possible e.g. name tags, banners etc
- Encourage guests and vendors to reduce & reuse resources e.g. car share, reuse bags & water bottles
- Set up a recycling system that includes food waste
- Promote reusable water bottles and set up water stations and
- Work with event vendors to limit plastic and use compostable foodware:
- Select eco-friendly awards and event gifts from local vendors
- Use an App for your event to reduce paper and ink
- Support local farmers by using their produce
- Organise a “green competition” that best suits your event
- Organise site tours or information talks/ kiosks featuring local green efforts
- Use eco-friendly detergents
- Use renewable energy sources if possible
- Promote Carbon Offsets
- Support a local not-for-profit organisation
- Promote, publicise, monitor and evaluate your green efforts
GREEN MY COMMUNITY
One of the best things about the BVI is its tight knit supportive communities. There are several organisations you can support AND be green!
- Adopt a Spot (hyperlink to get involved)
- The BVI Red Cross accepts and sells used clothes, books and household items
- Family Support Network accepts and sells used clothes and toys
- Church Groups or a church/social organisation can repurpose donations
- Youth Empowerment Centre creates Hope and Opportunity for youth by providing a safe haven with specialised activities for young people
GREEN MY LIFE
These businesses are making it easier to make responsible choices in the BVI. Spend your money where it matters and support local green efforts.
Visit our blog to learn more about Green VI and the work we have done.